DEL~UKS Kommunity Forum Index  DEL~UKS Kommunity Forum Index  
  DEL~UKS Kommunity
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

DEL~UKS Kommunity Forum Index » General Diskussion » urban nomads legacy

urban nomads legacy « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
unclefat
PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 11:13    Post subject: urban nomads legacy Reply with quote

Syd Barrett lives in my cave

In the late 1940s a young design student in Chicago named Ken Isaacs was confronted by a serious shelter problem. Needing housing for himself and his new wife as well as enough space to carry out his work but just barely able to afford a tiny two-room city apartment, Isaacs needed a way to get more practical use from limited space. With a leap of imagination that anticipated the Lofting movement that would come some time later, he devised a novel home-made structure of bolt-together wooden parts which organized the one main room of his apartment into a two level set of small stacked spaces of specialized function, exploiting the full volume of the limited room space. This Living Structure, as Isaacs came to call it, combined lounge, office/study, bedroom and storage all into its one cubical frame structure, its furnishings all integrated and made from the same modular bolted-together 2x2 sticks and simple sheets of press-board. It was like a whole home intergated into a single piece of home-made furniture which could be spontaneously adapted to its inhabitants changing needs by simply rearranging its parts. This immediately drew the attention of other designers and was soon featured in a number of magazine article. Intrigued by the versatility of this structure, Isaacs was soon obsessed with adapting the concept to an infinite diversity of uses, evolving it into a standardized system of modular building he called Matrix which anyone could use to build just about anything. Thus was formed one of the key foundations for a brief but remarkable design movement that would eventually be known as the Urban Nomad movement.

Living Structure and frame detail - Ken Issacs

Isaacs spent decades spreading the word about Living Structures and the light living philosophy they embodied through seminars, articles, and courses conducted in design schools around the US. Simultaneously, he and his followers continued to experiment with an increasing diversity of applications, culminating in the development of what Isaacs referred to as Microhouses; tiny simple buildings based on a stressed-skin plywood structure and using an external support structure based on galvanized steel pipe joined with modular pipe-fittings. (such as today's Kee Klamp products) The application of free-standing housing seems to have pushed the practical limits of the Matrix technology.

first generation Microhouses

second generation Microhouses

full article here: http://radio.weblogs.com/0119080/stories/2003/03/11/galleryUrbanNomadics.html

The micro compact home today
http://www.microcompacthome.com/ design by Richard Horden

The micro compact home [m-ch] is a lightweight compact dwelling for one or two people. Its compact dimensions of 2.6m cube adapt it to a variety of sites and circumstances, and its functioning spaces of sleeping, working / dining, cooking and hygiene make it suitable for everyday use.

flyermoney
PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 12:48    Post subject: Re: urban nomads legacy Reply with quote

ATP Curator

Juste excellent, les designs de Ken Isaacs

unclefat wrote:
The micro compact home today
http://www.microcompacthome.com/ design by Richard Horden
The micro compact home [m-ch] is a lightweight compact dwelling for one or two people. Its compact dimensions of 2.6m cube adapt it to a variety of sites and circumstances, and its functioning spaces of sleeping, working / dining, cooking and hygiene make it suitable for everyday use.

microcompacthome.com wrote:
m-ch units are available to purchase for delivery to geographical Europe at a guide price of EUR 25,000 to EUR 34,000 (subject to contract). This price includes all interior fittings. Subject to site conditions, the price excludes delivery, installation, connection to services, consultant’s fees and taxes.

C'est quand même de 40'000.- à 55'000.-. Un peu chérot...
flyermoney
PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 12:56    Post subject: Re: urban nomads legacy Reply with quote

ATP Curator

flyermoney wrote:
C'est quand même de 40'000.- à 55'000.-. Un peu chérot...

En fait, pas si cher que ça:

Quote:
Inside the m-ch features:
    two compact double beds, each measuring 198cm x 107cm, with covered cushions

storage space for bedding and cleaning equipment

a sliding table measuring 105cm x 65cm, for dining for up to five people

flat screen television in the living/dining space

a shower and toilet cubicle

a kitchen area, which is fitted with electrical points and features a double hob, sink and extending tap, microwave, fridge and freezer units, three compartment waste unit, storage shelves, cutlery drawers with gentle return sprung slides and double level work surfaces

thermostat controlled ducted warm air heating, air conditioning, water heating

fire alarm and smoke detectors

unclefat
PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 13:00    Post subject: Re: urban nomads legacy Reply with quote

flyermoney wrote:
En fait, pas si cher que ça

tu m'ets. tu sais combien ça coûte une maison aujourd'hui?

les français ont l'impression de faire un exploit économique avec la maison à 100'000 euros, et ceci avec le prêt ou le don du terrain par la commune.
flyermoney
PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 13:19    Post subject: Re: urban nomads legacy Reply with quote

ATP Curator

unclefat wrote:
flyermoney wrote:
En fait, pas si cher que ça

tu m'ets. tu sais combien ça coûte une maison aujourd'hui?

les français ont l'impression de faire un exploit économique avec la maison à 100'000 euros, et ceci avec le prêt ou le don du terrain par la commune.

Bon, en même temps, la maison à 100K euros, c'est des fondations, du béton, de la plomberie, et autres moyens lourds. Sans compter que t'y loges une famille.

La m-ch, ça reste du domaine du mobilhome de designer.
unclefat
PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 13:32    Post subject: Re: urban nomads legacy Reply with quote

flyermoney wrote:
Bon, en même temps, la maison à 100K euros, c'est des fondations, du béton, de la plomberie, et autres moyens lourds. Sans compter que t'y loges une famille.

tu sais combien ça coûte une maison dans la région?

100k * 10 à peu près
flyermoney
PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan, 2007 13:57    Post subject: Re: urban nomads legacy Reply with quote

ATP Curator

unclefat wrote:
flyermoney wrote:

tu sais combien ça coûte une maison dans la région?

100k * 10 à peu près

Clair. Par chez nous, 100K Euros, ça paie à peine un studio...
unclefat
PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomadic Furniture

Not much documentation of the Urban Nomad movement exists. Because it was characterized as relating to the 'youth culture' with its attendant 'hippies' and the like, it did not have much respect with the mainstream publishers. But its proponents were effective self-publishers and the record of this movement exists in the interesting form of an assortment of DIY building books by grass-roots small-press publishers. The Urban Nomadics movement was not about design style or theory but rather about a culture of appropriate technology. So the books the proponents of this movement wrote were intended to share the technology they had invented, much like the handyman and hobby books from which their writing and illustration style derived. This ultimately became the standard for the many Soft-Tech books which followed in the 1970s. I was able to find a few of these Urban Nomad DIY books including Ken Isaacs own How To Build Your Own Living Structures and the Nomadic Furniture vol. 1 & 2 by Hennasy and Papanek.

Nomadic Furniture How to Build and Where to Buy Lightweight Furniture that Folds, Inflates, Knocks Down, Stacks, or is Disposable and Can Be Recycled

DIY Kidgear

http://flickr.com/photos/daddytypes/sets/72157594187077363/

modular bookcase - pre-tetris like

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daddytypes/tags/diy/

Resource Tower today:
"Aristo Pods, Luxo Pods, and Boho Pods" here http://jadeny.com/ (fookin' flash site non bookmarkable!)

via boingboing
The Nomadic Furniture book was by Victor Papanek, an architect and designer that headed the School of Design at the Kansas City Art Institute just prior to my time there (he moved a few miles west to chair the department of architecture at the University of Kansas in Lawrence).
Papanek was an amazing visionary designer, who saw the importance of designing for the real world and real human needs long before the rest of the design world began to get it. He introduced a set of values into design that are only now beginning to see wider interest and adoption.

An excellent book to read is his 1995 book, The Green Imperative: Natural Design For The Real World. In one of my favorite chapters, he talks about the design and adaptive genius of the Inuit people of the Arctic, describing many of their ingenious inventions, such as floating tactile coastline maps and goggles which utilized a slit to cut down on snowblinding glare.

I just wanted to point out that Papanek was a true revolutionary genius in the design world.

bio notes
Victor Papanek (1925-1998)
Designer, anthropologist, writer, and teacher Papanek was born in Vienna, Austria and arrived in the US in 1932. He graduated in 1948 in architecture and industrial design from the Cooper Union, studied at M.I.T. and under Frank Lloyd Wright. He opened his own consulting office in 1953.

He became Dean of the School of Design at the California Institute of the Arts, and in early 1970s became Chairman of Design at the Kansas City (MO) Art Institute. He wrote a number of design-related books, including Design for the Real World, (1972), Nomadic Furniture (1973), Nomadic Furniture 2, (1974), How Things Don't Work, (1977), Design For Human Scale (1983) and Viewing the World Whole (1983). From 1981, Professor Papanek taught architecture and design at the University of Kansas.

more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Papanek
unclefat
PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan, 2007 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomadic Cafe sur youtube

The Nomadic Cafe (2003) is a three foot cube that opens to become a fully functional Kitchen-Cafe in the streets.

Referencing sculptures of Tony Smith and Donald Judd with the interaction of Andrea Zittel and Rirkrit Tiravanija, the sculpture utilizes the formality of the gallery with the personality of the artists.

For more information, please visit: http://jgabriel.org/performance/NC1.html
unclefat
PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan, 2007 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrea Zittel (1965- )

Andrea Zittel is famous for designing and building customized, multi-purpose 'living units' that blur the edges of architecture, art and humor.

Andrea Zittel was born in Escondido, California, in 1965. She received a BFA in painting and sculpture in 1988 from San Diego State University, and an MFA in sculpture in 1990 from the Rhode Island School of Design.

Zittel’s sculptures and installations transform everything necessary for life—such as eating, sleeping, bathing, and socializing—into artful experiments in living. Blurring the lines between life and art, Zittel’s projects extend to her own home and wardrobe. Wearing a single outfit every day for an entire season, and constantly remodeling her home to suit changing demands and interests, Zittel continually reinvents her relationship to her domestic and social environment.

Influenced by modernist design and architecture from the early part of the twentieth century, the artist’s one-woman mock organization, “A–Z Administrative Services,” develops furniture, homes, and vehicles for contemporary consumers with a similar simplicity and attention to order. Seeking to attain a sense of freedom through structure, Zittel is more interested in revealing the human need for order than in prescribing a single unifying design principle or style. “People say my work is all about control, but it’s not really,” she remarks. “I am always looking for the gray area between freedom—which can sometimes feel too open-ended and vast—and security—which may easily turn into confinement.”

Her "A-Z Pocket Property," a 44-ton floating fantasy island off the coast of Denmark commissioned by the Danish government, contrasts the extremes of a creative escape with the isolation that occurs when a person is removed from society.

Altering and examining aspects of life that are for the most part taken for granted, Zittel’s hand-crafted solutions respond to the day-to-day rhythms of the body and the creative need of people to match their surroundings to the changing appearance of life. Zittel lives in California and New York.

• A-Z Cellular Compartment Units – a series of interlocking capsules which transform a one- or two-room apartment into a dense network of chambers.

• A-Z 2001 Homestead Units – inspired by the tradition of 1940s homestead cabins in the high desert, these less than 120-square-foot units are compact, contain the essentials to shelter and protect the body, and break down into transportable panels which can be erected by two people in only a few hours.

• A-Z Food Group Prep Station – houses all the components needed to make food in luxury while being liberated from hours wasted on preparation.

• A-Z Travel Trailers – movable living spaces with identical dark green metal exteriors, but with interiors that could be customized to meet the "life, values and whimsy" of the owner.

• A-Z Escape Vehicles – stationary silver constructions people escape into and never leave home.

One of Zittel's most recent miniature mobile living spaces is the "A-Z Wagon Station." Several of these units are featured in the "Small Liberties" show at the Whitney.

The Wagon Stations are "capsules you can live in outside," said Zittel in a 2004 online interview with New York writer and curator Cheryl Kaplan.

It is "like a vacation home done in the smallest imaginable comfortable, livable space," the artist added. "A station wagon seemed the right size – that's why they're called 'Wagon Stations.' They're 7 feet long and 4 feet wide, the front is curved and hinged, opening to an awning. Inside there's a bed, shelf and camp stove."

le site d'AZ: http://www.zittel.org/
le wagon station blog: http://azwagonstations.blogspot.com/
unclefat
PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

une 1/2 pièce en plus pour 250.-

plus de place à la maison, marre de camper sous la mezzanine -au fond d'une espèce d'alcove très mal exploitée de 3.1m sur 1.43m - qui s'est transformée en espace de stockage depuis bien longtemps.

50 mètres carré à 2, avec pas mal d'intérêts divers (les fours solaires + bricolages de val + tout mon bronx) qui vous bouffent très rapidement tout l'espace.

la cave déborde depuis nowhere 2006 et la decomp n'a rien arrangé.

heureusement il y a Ikea et sa série de rangement pour caves: GORM. c'est du bois, c'est super cheap: 2.- les montants, 5.- max pour un rayon.

Donc 130.- de GORM pour 4 étagères, 120.- de panneaux MDF de 22mm d'épaisseur (this shit is super solid & super heavy!!!).

Total 250.- pour qques mètres cubes supplémentaires + 3 mètres carré gagnés dans le salon! ça bat la mezzanine Ikea à plate couture pour le prix!

le tout monté en qques heures seulement. 2 heures de démontage, déménagement et rangement.

2 heures de montage grand max pour les 4 étagères, les panneaux sont simplement posés et sanglés.

merci ken isaacs & cie pour l'inspiration!
barrywhiteyoublackemperor
PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

once black never back

barge, mais où sont passés bouquins et DVD ?

encore plus cool avec une esclave qui bosse pdt que tu prends les pix (LOL)
best boy electric
PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIG BOSS ELEKTRIK

C'est vraimenet solide ces pieds d'étagère?

*frenetic sexy boy concern*
unclefat
PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Boy Electric wrote:
C'est vraimenet solide ces pieds d'étagère?

dormi dessus cette nuit! pas bougé d'un mm. pas essayé encore dans des "rocking" conditions... ;-)

mais on va dire qu'il y a 200 kg de charge, réparti sur 8 étagères/24 montants. No soucy!
Cornelius
PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Big In Japan

moi j'ai pas pigé, uncle tu dors dans ta cave?

DEL~UKS Kommunity Forum Index » General Diskussion » urban nomads legacy
Jump to: